Celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms
Watch the documentary Fundamental Freedoms / Libertés fondamentales Online and On Demand!
Please click here to watch the documentary online
The documentary FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS began development early in 2003. Lead by executive producer Barbara Jones and director Ian Thompson, a passionate and dedicated team of production and post-production talent spent the following two years researching, compiling and creating an overview of the Charter for television and school audiences, in seven languages. From the cultural make up of the team to the program content itself, FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS reflects the diversity of Canada.
The documentary FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS was produced in Cantonese, English, French, German, Italian, Polish, and Portuguese. Development and production were made possible by the generous support of OMNI Television's Documentary and Drama Fund. With the support of additional broadcasters from across Canada, including APTN and Channel M, the program is now also available in Cree, Inuktitut, Punjabi and Spanish.
In addition to historical footage featuring former Canadian Prime Ministers Pierre E. Trudeau and Jean Chrétien, and astronaut Marc Garneau, interview subjects for FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS include:
- Dr. Dyane Adam, Former Commissioner of Official Languages of Canada
- Alan Borovoy, Canadian Civil Liberties Association
- Rev. Roland de Corneille, Former Member of Parliament
- Sheila Copps, Former Canadian Heritage Minister
- Dwight Dorey, Former National Chief, Congress of Aboriginal Peoples
- Avvy Go, Metro Toronto Chinese and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic
- The Honourable Roy R. McMurtry, Chief Justice of Ontario
- Katie Coleman Nicoll, Teacher and New Canadian
- The Honourable Robert J. Sharpe, Justice Court of Appeals for Ontario
- T. Sher Singh, Lawyer and Journalist
FUNDAMENTAL FREEDOMS is available on these Canadian television stations. Check the station Web site for specific scheduling information.